Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Stump Jump was cooler than Rowbears lame race cuz i got a tshirt

Does it ever not rain in South Carolina when the Stump Jump is on tap? No. But, the soil down there drains like nothin else. And, they always have good t-shirts.

Saturday, yes, it rained. And rained. Rather than go pre-ride sloppy trails, Jenn an I went to a park in Greenville and rode laps on the road just to get some spinnin in. As I was loading my bike to head out, I noticed my fork had developed an external oil bath, not good. Screw it. The lock-out works, I didnt ride thurs or friday, I needed to do something. Havin not packed for 60 and wet, I had to borrow a rain jacket from the bike shop (The Great Escape) manager. So far, things are kinda suckin from a total lack of preparation. My legs felt cold and weak. I tried some big jumps and hills, but my heart rate wouldnt rise. So after an hour of playing "Lance in a Nike commercial", we packed it in.

Sunday, ah the comedy of errors continued. About the time I pulled off the interstate, I asked Jenn if she remembered how to get there. No. So, no map, not 100% when either of our races start, she starts callin everyone who has ever once been to Spartanburg to try to get some help. With a couple calls and all the grey matter we can muster, we arrive with 1/2 hour to spare until her race started. One of the last things I tell Jenn before she disappears off into the cold wet mud was, "I prolly am not gonna race." (this will be significant in a bit). But, as I said, this place drains great the sun was out, the sport and beginners had worn in some ruts and was tacking up nicely. I decided, what the hey, I was there, I needed to ride, might as well. So 40 minutes prior to the gun, I registered.

Must have been somethin in the air since Rowbear also had some organizational issues, I strapped on my number plate, got dressed and prepared myself to race, but wasnt sure what to do with my bottles. Jenn was still out on the course and I wanted to put them where she would find them, but where they would be out of the sun. So rather than placing them in her chair in the feedzone, (wayyyy to obvious), I put them in the back of the Amigo in a bag. Man, I am soooo smart. Oh, and the lack of fork oil turned out to just be a comfort thing more than an issue with it working.

So I line up to start. Since there was a Gone Riding AMBC (or whatever they are called now) less than 3 hours away, other than Schworm and Johnston, the field wasnt too stacked, about 8 pro/semi total. I had a great start. Into the woods first and better yet, I didnt feel like I worked that hard to do it. I got passed in a ravine crossing that had two lines, I took the slower. I sat behind the kid for a bit until I decided I could be goin faster, and I attacked on a short climb. Not sure what was happening behind me other than I was opening up a small gap and still feelin like I was just riding. The mud that remained made things fun, a bit of sliding here, a big mud hole to splash through there. I shot down through another gully and as I came ou the other side, "psssssssssssssssss..." Crap. I rode along hoping the sealant inside would patch things up. No such luck so I pulled over to see what i needed to do. The valve stem was bent which leads to Anthonys tip O the day; leave on your little plastic presta caps. I was able to fill it and slow the leak to where it held at about 20psi, not bad in the mud, but suffered in the open sections and the fast corners. Battling back from last, I managed to catch all but two, which was a suprise for me at the end. Coming into the feedone, no bottles. Crap again. Then it dawns on me; Jenn may not even realize I was racing and how stupid of a place I had stashed my bottles.

Next lap, other than havin to stop and re-inflate my tire again, nothing bad happened aside from draining what liquids I had left. Next time throught the feedzone, I see Jenn running. "Sweet!!! She has my bottles" I think. So I get up beside her, she has nothin. Funny really, we just kinda sit there lookin at each other and I say somethin to the effect of where are my bottles, i need water. She grabs two that had been sitting on a table (sorry whoever) and hands em over. I stuff em in and get going again. I think one bottle was watered down diet coke and the other was urine, but I'm not 100% on either.

So, all things considered, I coulda been pissed about how everything worked out especially since I had the best legs I have had in about 7 weeks with my illness and wreck at Tiger Rag, but ya'know, most of it was my fault for not plannin and in the end, it was good to just know I can go again. I ended up 3rd which made me happy since, I was gettin paid and I figured I was in 5th the whole time. Jenn, once again won the SC State Championship for her age group. Its not about who is in the race, its all about results.

2 comments:

Nick Barburuski said...

so if i mix my next water bottle with coke and urine i can get at least a top 3? sweet.

Anonymous said...

You Louisville riding types are immune to urine and it's okay for you drink it because you drink mine all the time as it flows down the Ohio River to you....

Czar