Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ferdinand

The race started out by doing a lap and a half around a field then we made a left into the woods crossed a creek and then started up a short technical climb which then mellowed into a long sustained fire-road climb that took a few minutes to get to the top of at which point we made a right onto single-track and began the steep quick descents which were followed immediately by quick ascents with a fireroad section thrown in every once and a while. There was one or two climbs that I think the majority of riders were dismounting and walking up and there were a couple other longer climbs on the course that really took the energy out of the legs. I think it's a really tough course and I was definitely worried about blowing up at the start.

So, I settled in for a long day at the start. Not really long so much as draining. I let 4 guys get away on the first long climb up to the single track. I was thinking that they would blow up and slow way down before the race was over. I wanted to take it kind of easy on the first lap (which was only half a lap), second lap was a full lap (10 miles or so). Problem is after the first half lap I was kinda over that trail system because there isn't much fun to be had and it just seemed so unrelenting. So on the second lap I didn't really step it up like I planned and found myself reverting to granny gear often. About half-way through that lap I basically gave up and began to not be able to give a crap whether I went fast or not. With a few miles left Trevor Stith came around me from the 30-39 group and I felt comfortable with his pace so I tried to keep him in eyesight. When I realized that the end was near I started to actually push the pedals again but it was getting a little too late. I caught one guy from our group that was in with the 5 that got away on the first climb. he was walking his bike, I'm guessing cramps.

So I ended up finishing 4th in my age group. I was beat on the starting line though so it wasn't a satisfying race for me.

No comments: