Sunday, April 27, 2008

Younger's creek stxc and tt

Bout what I expected, I was slower than most but not too too far back. I did the tt first. Started out through a field, crossed a creek, then the road, then started up some switchbacks that were slick in some spots. Of the 6 or 7 I think I only successfully got up one or two so I was hoping off my bike and back on a lot, and not too quickly at that, my cleats were getting mudded up and I don't think I did a hard enough effort warming up to get myself ready for the pain so I kept just wanting to chill and asking myself, "why do I do this?" That was 3 minutes into the trail, haha. Well anyway, after I nearly slid down the side of the hill and stood in one place for a bit cause I couldn't get my footing I finally made it to the very top were things were in good shape. Rolled around for a while just doing my thing trying to figure out if I should over gear myself or do high rpms because of all the sharp turns. I think I ended up trying both. With about a mile to go I started thinking about how I hadn't clipped a pedal on anything and was pretty pleased with myself, so then I made a sharp right and clipped my pedal on a root which caused me to bust my peanuts on the nose of my saddle a bit. The rest was uneventful.

For the stxc there were only 5 of us. I got on rusty's wheel, he was on blaine's wheel who was on josh's wheel, who was on annajean/niki's wheel and someone was on my wheel for a minute, an older guy, we rolled that way for 3 or 4 laps and I was feeling okay but wondering if I could keep that up for 20 minutes then rusty started to pop a bit and I considered coming around him but then told myself I would definitely pop if I did that, so he and I chased for a while then after another few laps of taking turns he wanted to accelerate a little and I told him to go on, eventually we were both lapped by the other three. That field was choppy and unfast I would have hate to have done it on a hardtail. Josh ended up winning. I never caught rusty and now I think I should have tried to jump around him and got on blaine's wheel, then rusty might have gotten discouraged and slowed way down before I popped. Doesn't matter, I just needed to get a tune-up in, I'm done with school tuesday and should be able to start riding more than once a week at that point.

1 comment:

keith said...

Good times. I didn't know you were racing this year.