Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Return of the Mythical Beast

That's right. You read that headline correctly. After spending the 2 months in the gym and on my bike, I am on the road to wellville (I did have a small back injury, but I have healed).

I have put a lot of saddle time in over the last two weeks, riding nearly every day in some way, shape or form. I am still fat, but my enduruance and speed is returning. Monday night I rode with Anneken Skywalker and at the last moment I beat her in the great wilderness loop challenge of 2007 to become the unified inter-gender champion of the Wooooooorrrrrld. I did have a little help from a member of Team M.A.N.

But yes, my body is coming back, slowly but surely....maybe next year I will be racing again...who knows. I definately am wanting to venture back into endurance racing....that's where its at!

Even though I am no where near the finish, getting here hasn't been easy, I have had many challenges in my life...and not trying to sound like a whiner or a victim here, I finally have overcame some of these obsticles. It wasn't easy, and actually took some courage, but the rewards of being able to ride my bike without a headache and to have a happy life in general are so worth it....They are worth the challanges, obstacles, fears, and failures we may face and endure in life....That is your F.Y.I for the week btw! :)

I went for a ride last night, the rain, thunder and eventual lightening soon changed my plans. I saw justin and one of his friends out and we gathered underneath a small kiosks avoiding mother nature's wrath. After giving an uplifting report on Tina, Justin soon got a phone call and we headed off to the shelter house across the creek and met with Britt.

Even though the riding was limited, it was nice to sit down and catch up with old friends that I haven't seen, in what seemed like ages. Mountain Biking is much more than racing, it is a community that has brought many people of different paths together. Britt and I shared some stories of our lives over the past year, some good, some bad. Sharing stories helps one put life into perspective. Even though the riding was limited, the fellowship was not.

I look forward to running into old friends and new faces in cherokee and other spots as I continue my quest...so open your arms and welcome the return of the mythical beast!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was your injury riding related?

Anonymous said...

word

Anonymous said...

yes the i suffered a concussion from ramming into a tree branch.

BC - 0 Tree Brand - 1

My 1st serious accident in 8 years, well there was one in moab, and another behind jeff schwinn....

Sodapop said...

Glad to see you back out on the bike BC! Keep it up.
We wound up going to Shawnee Park and back...to the pub. Turned out to be a nice night.

Anonymous said...

I had heard you mention your accident and I was just curious if it was riding related. I thought maybe you were in a car accident.