Thursday, December 04, 2008

The way-off season

So I have not pinned a number or tied one on my bars for 3.5 months now. Crazy. I haven't gone that long without racing in prolly about 12 years. While I miss many aspects, the lack of pressure to perform and train is kinda nice. Then again, it sucks to have to hear about who's racing well right now and thinking "I can totally beat that dude..."

The healing of the back has been way more than I could have ever imagined. Amazing what the body can do to itself. In a span of about 1 minute I managed to do months upon months worth of damage without having to hit anything more than the floor from a standing position (I try to excel in all things). Some days it really feels like things are getting better, others, I feel like I went 2 months back.

So if you kids are out there thinking you would like to break your back like your favorite Pro MTB racer Anthony Slowinski, I realize the dream is alluring, but have to warn you, it makes life kinda suck.

Next years race plans? Lets just say I thought I would be able to race again this season, so who knows. I obviously don't.

In one and a half weeks, I will see the back surgeon for hopefully the last time, maybe then I will have some answers. Till then, see y'all at the (sing it) whyyyyyyyy emmmmmm c-ay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Slow-inski,

Its Pirtle...

I fractured my back in 3 places in 01 when I was struck by a car on a road bike.

This is when I quit racing all together.

Point is a break from training and racing is a good thing. Both of us could have or can come away from these things even quicker on the bike. Oh wait we are in our 30's.. damn..woulda coulda shoulda.

How is the Anthem?

Get well!!

EP