Tuesday, May 12, 2009

a snippit from Greer's myspace blog

here is part of his description of the race

By the time I got out of this section some 40 minutes later, I was just thinking about how I was never coming back into these woods. I got to one muddy slope and my bike was so heavy that I couldn't drag it up. Some guy helped me push it up and then I helped him get his to the top. It was rediculous. My shoes got so full of mud that the velcro wouldn't hold. My right shoe kept coming off. I was so glad to see the field section and the start of Lucy's Loop. Just as I entered the field, my chain jammed behind my cassette. I couldn't get the damn wheel off because it was jammed with black mud. There was a pond next to the field so I waded off into it and cleaned off my wheels. I finally got the chain out and got rolling for the first time in almost an hour. I passed a ton of people as I rode the first half of Lucy's Loop.

The final climb kicked my ass. It took me 50 minutes to do the last mile. Both shoes were falling off and my bike weighed about 60 lbs. I was bonking. I was planning on one hour lap times, so I took no food and only one and a half bottles of Gatorade. I sat down for a minute and scraped the mud off my bike. That may have gotten it under 40 lbs. Then I threw it on my back and started running. My shoes fell off so I put them on my handlebars and just ran in my socks to the top. I passed a guy that had run over a fire ant nest and they were all over his bike. It didn't look like fun. I tried to ride the final field section, but the grass clogged up my wheels again. I was riding my guts out to turn my granny ring and third gear on the back. I crossed the line in just over 3 hours and 10 minutes for 10 miles. I think I ran about 6 miles of the 10, which is the farthest I've ever run in my life.


you can read the whole report and see a bunch of gruesome photos here

No comments: