Thursday, August 16, 2007

Butler and the bridge

Butler was hot, but thanks to the efforts of Kymba, the trails were in pretty decent shape. I was tired, but in spite of myself and because of a lack of Ben Richardson or Brian Schworm, I won. So you ask "Anthony, you just won Butler, and its 100 degrees out, where are you gonna go now?" "I'm going to go stand in the sun on 2nd street bridge!" would have been my reply. Chips Chronan was killed on that bridge 6 weeks ago, the same one I ride on a weekly basis.

After racing and having to bust butt to get down there, it wasnt tops on my list, but Brad Swope had helped to organize and mobilize local teams to show up for the dedication of the right lane as a sharrow and memorial ride. Making a quick change and hoping on my road bike, my cramped calves agreed, they didnt want to go either. However, this was important. As usual in Louisville, positive change only happens with a cyclists death or a very near miss of the reaper, and it just seemed like showing was the right thing to do. I was glad I went. The fact 2k cyclists crowded the bridge on a sweltering hot day I think speaks volumes to the future of cycling in this burg. Hearing the Greek say "Clarksville Ateam mountain bike racing, come up here and roll out" made it worth it. So I have been riding to work this week feeling like a king in the right hand lane, mine, all mine! Well, until I hit the surface streets again and people continue to treat me with the same, or less, regard as a possum.

RIP Chips, I didnt know you, but Im sure youd be happy knowing you made a huge change in the city.

Our mayor for life, seen here sticking his finger in the wind showing his political decision making process.

Full story
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770812012

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he is saluting me

-hitler