Monday, June 02, 2008

Brown Co. Beatdown

Me, Anthony, and Dulin headed up to Brown Co. for the 2nd D.IN.O. race of the season and more importantly the KYANA championship race. It was my first D.IN.O race in the expert class, I've never been able to win a Sport class race up there cause there are so many fast sport guys that have been racing sport class for years so they may be considered sandbaggers by some. Anyway, race started out with a pretty long road section that had a few steep ups then it was right into the woods for some blazing fast singletrack. Scary fast at times, a lot of the trail is like that so locals can kill it cause they know how much brake they can get away with. I started off slow and took the first two laps at about 3/4 throttle for fear of blowing up. By the last lap I still had some energy so I had a pretty good lap but was only able to catch two expert riders, one of them cheering me on saying, that's the way you finish a race. Unfortunately, the tactic of saving it all for the last lap never works. I was happy to have a strong finish with the added distance that expert class requires so I'll chalk it up as a positive day and some good training. I think what I need to be doing though is to ride hard enough to blow up about half-way through the last lap and then limp in for the finish cause it seems like that would be the best for shocking some fitness into me. Ky lost the title but we had some good results namely from Anthony, Josh Gerlach, and Keith Lucas who all finished in the top 10.

No comments: