Wednesday, June 11, 2008

right place at the right time

fate smiled on me last night on the Tuesday night world ride in lex-town

we were doing a two lap race with an intermediate sprint. Coming around for the first lap everyone started making an echelon that started on the left side of the road, I was on the right so I was totally open. I went and I guess it was early cause only one guy went with me, he came around right at the line so he probably got me but it was close. Anyway, that wasn't the fortunate thing, about a mile later I was still up front with a few seconds all of a sudden I hear someone yell "slowing" and then I hear mass braking, scraping and thuds, I looked over my shoulder to see the pile up about 20 yrds behind me.

Something like 10 people involved, most got away okay except for Greg, he broke his collar-bone. I was lucky to be up front at the time, the rest of the ride I had been sitting on in the middle somewhere. I'm not sure what caused it since we were on a straight stretch of road, someone said it was this one dudes fault because he started braking for no reason, the guy he was talking about is the same dude that I saw sitting on the side of the road last week because he wadded it while riding with two other people, the guy seems pretty mouthy on the group rides. I'm definitely going to try to stay away from his back wheel in the future.

It sure is a good idea to stay up front, especially if you're just out for a work-out (like me) and not actually trying to win the race, unless there is an easy opportunity for it. I'd rather get in a good break than sprinting for 50 yards

3 comments:

Anthony said...

roadies are so silly

keith said...

wast greg that rides for Pedal The Planet? Greg.........some strange last name.

Rowbear said...

yes, Greg Charkoudian or something like that. They operated on the collar-bone, because he broke it last year. Now he has some titanium and a lot of reinforcement. Doc told him he'll never break it in that spot again.