Wednesday, September 03, 2008

CX Maiden Voyage XC



I took, what Anthony has called my Fred Sanford, cyclo-cross bike out for it's first taste of off-roading. As you can see, it is kind of junky. At least it was the junkiest cross bike out there tonight. We had a cross practice of sorts at veterans park. No, we didn't get to enjoy the two miles of sweet single-track out there. Yes, we did ride in very bumpy and rocky mowed fields. When we first took off my bike made a very loud metal breaking type noise which sounded detrimental but after looking it over I couldn't see anything wrong, I thought maybe a spoke had broken but not. So, facing the possibility of a stem, or handlebars snapping I decided to keep on going.




So about the bike, yes, it is almost as heavy as a surly cross-check.
Yes, that is a stem adapter that allows me to lengthen a short steerer tube.
Yes, that is butt sweat on the seat.
No, there isn't a front deraileur cable hooked up.
Yes, those cranks did come off of a 1980s low-end schwinn 10-speed.
No, I didn't leave handle bar tape off the drops just to be cool. I used all the spare tape I had laying around. Now, I'm thinking I need to go get another 2 rolls and tape the hell out of the bars.

That course was so rough I couldn't hang on to my bars. I didn't want to drop my tire pressure anymore because I was afraid of pinch flatting. Next week I'm taking the scalpel out there, I really don't see any advantages of running a cx bike over a mtb on the practice course (which may be the race course, I don't know). There weren't any paved sections and my mtb and cx bike weigh just about the same. Well, I gotta go soak my hands in some epsome salt now. Talk to you later.

-R

6 comments:

Nick Barburuski said...

that is BAD!

Anthony said...

After the last barrier did you grab your chest and proclaim "Oooo... Its the Big One... You hear that Elizabeth... I'm comin' to you, I'm comin' home to Georgia"

Rowbear said...

hahaha, there weren't any barriers or dismounts. Weak! They better get some and practice them dismounts. I offered to sprint ahead and lay across the trail if they would dismount and hop over me. Some of those guys are too serious to laugh at my jokes though.

Davey B said...

i don't know if that head tube extender is such a good idea, but at least it looks cool!

Rowbear said...

I definitely don't think it is a good idea, nor do I think the fact that whoever sold the bike to me sold me a threadless stem for a threaded fork. I'm trying to get a new fork but it's got to be cheaper than a 15 pack of stroh's.

Davey B said...

Anthony, are you talking about MIA the german pop band (which albums are good?) or M.I.A the electonica?