Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I'm thinking of going to the Garth Prosser set-up

no, not dreads. But I have this spare 12-25 road cassette that is brand-new and was thinking of putting it on the mtb and getting rid of the big ring.

Benefits- will be weight savings and cost, road cassettes are lighter and cheaper than mtn., removing the big ring instead of granny = more weight shavings, and I'll be able to remove some chain.

drawbacks- I may spin out of gears every once and a while but can't think of too many courses around here when the 32x12 will be too small, except on long smooth downhills which I can't think of too many around here, and I guess I may have to shift between rings on the front more often. As is right now I can leave it in the middle ring for the entire race at most courses

thoughts?

5 comments:

Russell G. said...

I dunno what road cassette you have but I always here stories of road cassettes caking up in the smallest amount of mud.

Rowbear said...

hmmm, that's something to consider, is it because they're more of a bee-hive than mtn.?

Anthony said...

i'd try to get at least a 34. and some man legs.

nickleonard said...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2008/11/13/sram-xx-mountain-bike-group/

everybody is going to do it soon. some say sram's group is slated to release in may and others say mid summer of 09.

Nick Barburuski said...

eh, i think it should be OK, in the mud. cyclocrossers seem alright with it. having to constantly shift the front derailleur might get annoying though. also, you might not like the tight ratios compared to the mtn. casssette. worth a try though.