Tuesday, April 17, 2007

turned off

I really don't know where to begin. I've just gotten so frustrated by my local club's website, not the club necessarily the club, that I really don't care what happens. And I know it's not right because there are some people in the club that are working really hard. Funny thing is, those people that are working hard aren't the one(s) posting all the b.s. on the site. I have just been trying to not pay attention to the comments questions etc. on that site as of late.

My opinion on the website, if they want it to be a positive site for outsiders and governemental officials to look at then they should do away with the forums. Post as much info as they can on trails and maybe even contact numbers for people to call with specific questions or email addresses.

I like forums though so that I can easily talk with other local racers about races and keep informed so I want there to be forums but maybe they should just be on a seperate site and not look like they are representation of the club. I really doubt that those forums have gotten anyone fired up and ready to pay their member fees lately. It's mainly just arguments and people saying I've done this and this what have you done.

Many posts that question things being done in the name of the club or suggesting alternatives, constructive critisims are often deleted, so it's not like individual members have a voice on there. Why one member that has banned people and deleted several posts at his own volition without consulting other officials (even though that is supposed to be the modus operandi) continues to have administrator privileges is beyond me. Personally, I don't want to be a part of or throw my support to anything that member supports. Maybe I'm just being spiteful, regardless unpopular leaders (or people who act as though they have a leadership role) seem to be causing disenchantment among at least one member. Maybe, just maybe, I'm not the only one.

I find myself more willing to drive out of town to help with trail work than I am willing to help out with trails that are within a 15 minute drive. Re-routing a re-route (because of orders from above, outside the club) that we built 2 years ago was a main point of discouragement for me.

Not like this little blog entry is going to change anything or make anyone see some light. I just needed to vent because I can't post my grievances on the website nor do I want to add to the air of negativity that fills those forums. So annoyed I can't even focus on one point of contention for more than a few sentences.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Rowbear. I agree that forums of discussion among cycling friends should be separate from an informational site that represents or reflects a certain club or organization.

Anonymous said...

Hey, they're looking for you over on the KyMBA board. Wondering what happened to you.

Anonymous said...

Life and mountain biking both go on without the club you speak of....

Czar

Anthony said...

its czar!

Anonymous said...

Every non-renewing membership is a block lost out of the club's foundation. Ride free of being a block in the lame club's foundation. Some contained inside the walls above the foundation do not appreciate the blocks nor do they know the value of a strong foundation and how to attain and keep a strong foundation....

Czar