Friday, January 04, 2008

Hawk vs Duck

Hawk wins.

As I came around the golf course trail this morning, I disturbed a hawk havin some breakfast. The large bird took off clutching another large bird, a nice juicy mallard. I dunno, somethin seems wrong about pickin on a duck, especially by another bird. They seem like the chubby kid in school who tells jokes, kinda fun to have around, pretty harmless, cute in his own way. But, never the less, impressive to see the hawk flying around with a meal about as big as he.

I'm sure the duck would not agree, but it was a great morning and a kick-butt ride. I still feel super slow and this weekend's race should prove that out. But man that scalpel, well lets just say it's only limiting factor is its engine. The ground was frozen perfectly, like summer hard-pack minus the dust. Traces of white dotting the trail and woods, tires makin that "crunch-crunch" sound in the softer areas, all made me forget from time to time that it was all of 15-20 degrees. As much as I love a perfect 70 degree day, there is something to be said for that slap in the face feeling of a winter morning ride. Lets hope I feel the same at 5 am tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

olmstead should have all the Hawks removed from the parks to protect the ducks.

Anonymous said...

where are you racing tomorrow?