Monday, January 28, 2008

I've got a question

I've been thinking about this lately and can't quite figure it out. Winter = base miles right and also strength training. So this is the time of year that some people are doing squats and maybe even pushing a little bigger gear than normal at slower rpms. This makes me wonder why one of the guys I've done some road rides with, who has a powertap, is pretty strict about not pushing too much wattage. Why isn't it okay to push extra watts this time of year if it's okay to squat and push big gears? I can understand not wanting to get your heart rate or too high or too much intensity but I don't understand why this guy doesn't want to go over 350 watts or whatever. I've personally dumbed everything down this winter. I'm not wearing a heart rate monitor, no power tap, no logging of miles, nothing, I'm just riding my bike those one or two days a week when I get a chance. This is a big difference from last year. If i was on my bike then my hr monitor was on and I was writing in my journal afterward. I think I might have overthought things.

sincerely,

clueless about power

5 comments:

StupidBike said...

I am a Lurker, not a scientist, but as i understand it, base is about building endurance and the ability to burn more than carbs for energy. In the absence of Power, Heart Rate is a good enough measure to keep one on track, but the power reading is a true indicator of effort/energy expended.

Over a certain power number equals kilojoule expenditure that is not ideal.

That is my abridged version of Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Allen and Coggan.

On a more practical level though... If someone is that, um, anal about a ride that they are very strict about the power thing, well, they just are not having any fun. Are they :P

Anonymous said...

That Crab Orchard just keeps coming out of you. Keeping it simple is less stressful and time consuming. You should come to London and ride with other simple minds. or meet in Richmond D. Hays knows some good routes in that area.

Rowbear said...

I almost rode to Richmond on Saturday but then I decided to sleep in. I would like to hook up with you guys sometime. We could go to Mt. Vernon and do a Tour De Meth, er sumthin

keith said...

I'm still taking my pain medication. I could bring some of it along and swap it for meth. On a serious note.....A good ride out of Mt. Veronon is across 1249. Some good climbing.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the dude doesn't want to use up all his watts. I hear you only get so many......that's why I'm saving mine.