Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Cherokee Classic

Umm, it was fun, hot, and dusty. Anthony is at the beach so I'll recap his race. He started out with Ben hot and heavy. Josh Gerlach and the mike stevens were chasing, I don't know if they were together or not. Josh had a wreck pretty early on cause you could see dirt on his jersey in the photos. Ben had a couple wrecks and anthony slipped away. He sang Flight of the Concords songs to himself as he and his get-away-sticks did what they do best, got away. At the end of the third lap he was thinking more about his packing list for the vacation trip to north carolina that was going to begin minutes after the race finished. He was trying to remind himself to pack sunscreen and his digital camera. During the fourth lap he slowed down for a minute to fart, then he took a drink of gu2o and then began pedaling some more. He also had a crash because he was trying out a new line and thinking about his motorcycle while trying that new line and subsequently the branch or sappling or whatever it was caught him by surprise. It wasn't enough to keep him off the top of the podium though. The end.

I got into the woods sooner than I should have so I let a gap open pretty quickly, I think it was McShane in front of me and I didn't want to be right behind him anyway because last time I rode behind him was winter at Waverly and he was going down more than a vegas hooker. Someone behind me said, c'mon clarksville, so at pulled the gap back a little and then at the top of hogan's fountain I pulled over and let a group through. Once they started to ride away I was like, oh, maybe I should try to get on a wheel. But man it was fast through that section and it was a new section to me. Then I had a small group behind me, 3 riders I think. When we got to the kymba downhill I opened up a good gap but anna jean/niki pulled me back in the flat section before the climb up toward cochran. On that climb I dabbed a bit so I let the three riders go through. See what a nice guy I am. Then I think it was only Bo King and the sport class behind me, slowly I would let many of them through also. My second lap was even slower than the first, the third lap was probably the best because Dulin yelled at me with disappointment (deservedly). And the fourth lap brought some leg cramps, prolly because I pre-rode a lap and sweeted a lot during it. I think it is dumb for me to stop on each lap, unzip my cooler, get a water bottle out, zip the cooler back up, take a big drink and then ride. Obviously, I wasn't very motivated. I think I need to start at the back and try to hang next time. All and all though, I had fun out there.

No comments: