Sunday, July 20, 2008

What I learned this weekend, part 2

I learned you can ride off a bridge and have yet another helmet cracking crash (I have no brains left) and still have more fun doing 9 laps of an mtb crit than I ever could riding circles with roadies.

Oh, and I'm now a gold medalist, a Bluegrass State Games gold medalist (the short bus cousin of the Pan Am games – thats a really short bus). Regardless, Ben made me work for it. I rode off the bridge on lap 1, chased my butt off only to crash hard when I was about to bridge up. That fueled some aggression and I was able to catch him with 3 laps to go and grab the win in the last 2.

Whew. I am starting to feel pretty beat down. I think I have some good form right now, but a total lack of sleep in the last few weeks and the cracked rib are taking a toll. (I planted a food hard in a corner in Cherokee yesterday and let out a loud welp as the shock rang through the rib. I think the troll about 20 yards down trail believed it to be a mating call.) An easy week of training followed by what is sure to be an absolute beat-down in Cherokee will be rewarded with a week of beaches, mountains and maybe some white water (I never tire of trying to kill myself). It's gonna be a good couple weeks, and hopefully, a real sweet 2nd half of the season.

Lots of racing yet to come. See ya there.

No comments: