Friday, July 25, 2008

Laws? We dont need no stinkin laws.

The "cycling lane" on Second Street seems to be more of a suggestion than a rule now. It was nice, our bike friendliness lasted all of, uh, maybe a year? The sharrow markers on 2nd Street bridge are even fading as fast as the memory of Chips Chronan and the accident that spurred their creation.

But, thats a shared lane, I'm talking about the "bike only" lane that goes all the way from Oak to Broadway (because that 1.5 miles was really needed?). As pathetically short as it is, clearly just eeking out enough distance to meet federal requirements for some cash-ola, it is still a designated bike lane. Well, unless you are in a really, really big hurry it seems.

I have seen people driving the whole distance almost every day now, bowing out only to miss the occasional parked car or hover-round utilizing the lane (which I find really amusing for some reason). Even our beloved law enforcement officers are getting in on the action. In fact, this cop followed another car for almost 1 mile last week. I thought "Oh good, hes gonna site this chick." Nope. After she turned right, he just accelerated down to Broadway. At the light I asked why he was driving in the bike lane just to be ignored. I was pissed. I filed a report and am sure that absolutely nothing will be done, well apart from my anticipated, and totally unrelated, receipt of a moving violation in the next few months.

I was going through St. Matthews on bike one afternoon not long ago only to be almost run down by an officer blowing through a neighborhood stop sign. So I followed. He proceeded to blow through the next 8 or 9 signs (as did I, but I was on a mission of justice, so it's cool). Where was he going you wonder? Being the crime addled mean streets of St. Matthews, the mind races as to what the emergency could have been; murder, rape, robbery in progress, duck being harassed by some skateboarders in Brown Park? None of the above. He was in a hurry to get back to the station. I took a picture of the plate and car #, thanked him for his ability to both follow and enforce laws (well, as good as I could after sprinting my butt off for the last 12 or so blocks).

I know cops have a tough job, one I don't want. But geez, is not driving like a meth fueled redneck in a supercharged Nova SS asking too much? Polly is, so in the meantime I just want my bike lane back.

No comments: