Monday, March 19, 2007

a good weekend


Saturday was chilly. Arm warmer and knee's covered kinda chilly, but it was nice as the sun was out and the trails at Youngers Creek for the Toyota Tundra Switchback Attack were dry and fast.

We arrived around 1:30 after many of the days times had already been posted. I did a warm-up for my time trial feeling ok, at best. The day before's workout was horrible, so I didnt really know what to expect. After the initial climb and brief chat with B.C. taking snaps of the action (http://holzking.net/photography/sportsphotos.htm) I rolled through the course taking time checks at a couple landmarks to reference during my actual run. I set out moments after getting back from the warm-up not wanting to give myself a chance to think too much about the pain that was coming. Dustin Greer was on the line before me. He was able to beat my time last year, I like the idea of having a carrot out there to chase. I rolled out calm an shot up the long climb blowing the first switchback. I started to get down on myself, but put it out of my mind just as fast, I had to. The rest was easy. I didnt worry, I didnt think, I just did. When I got to the bottom of the downhill my computer read somewhere in the 14 minute range. I knew from previous time mark I had 2-3 minutes left. I was stoked as the fast time for the day was 18:58. I mean heck, I had time for a crash and still roll across in first. But, that wasnt what I wanted. I rolled across with a 17:34 and felt like I could have gone faster. I was happy. I wish some more of the other area fast guys woulda shown, but still, I was satisfied with what I did.

Saturdays cool conditions turned to a freezing Sunday morning and worse yet, freeze thaw. Nano led out the climb. I had no interest in pace-making yet as this was also my warm-up. Once we arrived at the top, Kevin Atkinson and myself quickly seperated ourselves from the pack and stayed away for the next hour and forty-five minutes. Being a roadie, he was content to sit on my wheel the whole time until I finally dropped him when he slid out around a corner and jammed up his derailure trying to force his gears to go places they didnt want to be. I finished with a winning margin of almost 5 minutes and most importantly, the $100 bonus for winning all 3 events (I was the only Pro in the short-track and thats the kinda odds I like).

Thats the way I like to start a season. The next few weeks will tell if this moral victory translates to more real ones, but for now I am 2 for 2 and feeling good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey now, you neglected to mention the hottest bottle bunny in the feed zone (with the coldest toes) doing the swiftest hand ups- although thankfully not to nano as he's a dropper.

Rowbear said...

vey niccceee.

Duane said...

So who is this "hottest bottle bunny" and can I get hand-ups too? Oh wait, that probably only works if I race, right?

Anonymous said...

applications are being taken for new bottle bunnies - apply today!!! (no fatties)

Anonymous said...

or knitters!

Anonymous said...

I very very interested in your position bottle bunny. My name is helga i from russia. I tall 2.786 arshin tall. I weigh .60 berkovets not fatty like cow that graze much, but built strong like hard work ox.

i give you good massage papa teach well.

Rowbear said...

you people are funny