Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Snake creek gap TT

“I need everyone to load their bikes on the trailers by 9:30! If you are in the parking lot and have not loaded your bike, do it now!” Thus began the 2007 racing season. The Snake Creek Gap Time Trial Series isn’t some sissy paved roadie time trial. Nor is this a groomed, shortened XC course either (no offense CKW). This is a 34 mile off-road TT that takes place in the mountains of Northern Georgia, Dalton to be exact, that offers mile upon miles of rock gardens, stream crossings, long stripes of red dirt through bright green meadows, and seemingly endless climbing.

Heavy rains and tornados Thursday apparently did not See Rock City and the trails were in pretty good shape considering the amount of moisture that hit the ground. The morning was cool, mid 50’s and breezy, a downright heat wave compared to Louisville temps. My shockingly white stumps made their first appearance for 2007 and it felt great to jump on the bike without 10 tons of wind-blocking gear on. So we loaded the bikes on the trailers, got changed and headed to the pre-race meeting. After being assured the trail would eat us alive, we headed to the bus for the 30 minute ride to the start line. Nice spot up front, one of the first off. Grabbed the bike and did a quick roll-around to see if all things were good to go; shifters, brakes, computer, all good.

No warm-up is the order of the day, just line up and go. I got out in the 3rd or 4th wave with four riders per wave. As soon as the starter shouted the order to go, my heart rate monitor cut out. Crap. I don’t want to do a 34 mile TT on an unknown trail without at least knowing how hard I was going. I have raced long enough to have a good idea of how hard to push. The race started on a roller coaster of a trail that shot through a deep creek (wet feet became a theme for the day, I love wool socks) that gradually gave way to a long climb. It was a perfect early climb, not too steep, just settle into a smooth tempo.

After about 40 minutes, I caught the last rider to start in front of me except Thomas Turner. This was good an bad – without any rabbits left in front of me, (I knew catching Turner who started 4 minutes up wasn’t going to happen), and no hrm to remind me to keep it rolling, motivation at times was hard to come by. Three hours is a long solo. All I had to go on was time. I rolled through the 1/2 way point about 1:25 and felt pretty good. I kept hoping the monitor would kick in, but instead it was like a severely autistic kid, every now and again shouting “227!" "55!” and the course kept going up. And up.

I finally started catching some of the 17 mile riders who where able to give me distance to the finish with about 8 miles remaining. At this point the popular barns “See Rock City” popped into my head because the last 8 where nothing but a minefield of rocks. By the time I saw the 5 to go, I was cursing the rocks openly. At that point, they cursed back because from then on the trail just went up. It followed the ridgeline of the mountain, so the end of the climb kept looking like it was just ahead only reveal more. Cruel, cruel trail. Finally a station of some sort appeared in the distance. As I rolled up to it, the trail turned to fire road going straight down. And down fast. It was so sweet, just tuck in tight, feather the brakes for the turns and fly. The road turned from gravel to pavement I realized, this was it. Just a couple ticks over 3 hours, I was charged and began to spin the cranks to try to generate any more speed.

I crossed the line at 3:03 my time, 3:09 their time. They screwed up some results that day, but the 6 minute discrepancy only made a difference to me, not the final standings so wasn’t going to argue. Beer, food and a cover hair band followed. I don’t know which was best, but they all rocked. I am happy with the result for the first race of the season, losing only to two local, and very fast, riders. I felt like I could was capable of more, but all things considered, it did the trick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so your heart rate monitor turned into rain man?

Anonymous said...

there is either a herd of elephants upstairs or robert just fell off his trainer...

Anonymous said...

haha